Whether you have a modern house or a traditional one, living rooms are the most common part of it for the simple reason that man is a social animal by nature, therefore he needs a place which he can call as a place of gathering - where he can socialize with people and spend quality time with his family. "The living room of your home serves two purposes - for socializing and for private time with your family. Since one room serves a dual purpose, it is important to keep its vaastu in the correct manner," says Dr Madhu Kotiya, body, mind and soul doctor. She gives vaastu shastra tips for positive energy. - Your living room should always be in the East or in the North direction. However if you a have a south-facing house, then your living room can be in South East corner. North direction although is the more beneficial direction for a living room. - If you are the type who does not like night parties and get-togethers, then have a living room in the North-West direction. Since presiding element of North-West part of a home is "air", the guests start to feel restless after sometime and tend to leaver earlier. - If you want to have a small pooja or a prayer room, then North-East remains the ideal location as god presides in this direction. - If you love your guests and want them to stay with you for a longer period of time, then you should have your living room located in the South West direction. However, this place is best suited for master bedroom. - The floor of the living area should slope towards North or East. Same remains for the ceiling. - Having the door of the living room in East or North brings wealth, health and overall progress. South, North-East or South-East entrance indicates success but then it takes lot of hard work to achieve. West entrance is good for scholars and researchers. North-West entrance supports development in all areas of life. South entrance for living area is inauspicious. - Always keep internal furniture, articles and heavy things in West or South side. If there is no such option then use a base of 1-3 inches height to keep furniture in North or North-East. - The head of the family should sit facing East or North in the living area so that he remains in command and guests are not able to dominate him. - Put the TV in South-East corner, otherwise it will break down often. The family will waste a lot of precious time watching TV only if it is kept in North-West corner. - Keep telephone in East, South-East or North, and not in South-West or North-West. - Place air cooler and air conditioner in West, North-West or East and never in South-East.
- You can hang portraits of Gods or some beautiful painting in the North-East wall or corner. Do not hang any portrait depicting negative energy eg war, crime, weeping, etc.
- Use white, light yellow, blue or green colours for living room walls. Avoid red or black for living room walls.
- Keep square or rectangular furniture in living area and avoid circular, oval or any other shape of furniture. Put light curtains on North-East windows and doors and heavy curtains in South-West. Provide a staircase in the South, West or South-West corner of the living area.
- Keep the North-East corner of living area clean and empty if possible. Keep some healthy plants in this corner. Never keep artificial flowers, dried flowers, and cactus or bonsai plants.
- Hang a chandelier in South or West of living area, not in the centre, and keep the fish aquarium in the East, North or North-East of the living area. For placing a water fountain, north is the best direction.