Relocating to Austin, Texas with General Motors?
Here are some tips to ask your employer General Motors and things you must consider before you move to Austin, TX! Texas has consistently ranked among top 5 in the U.S. for top States people move to and the Austin area is one of the fastest growing cities in Texas.
General Motors has a significant presence now in Texas. A number of General Motors employees have been relocating to Austin recently.
Getting hired for a new job or being transferred to Austin with General Motors is often very exciting; however, relocation can be expensive. In negotiating your contract, take a moment and ask what relocation costs they cover. Let’s talk about domestic relocation, within the continental United States, and focus on what’s important to know about your upcoming move.
Typically, most upper management positions come with a relocation package; however, they can vary from company to company, or position to position. Some employers like General Motors give you a relocation allowance or a lump sum of money to offset your moving costs. Often times, they may have a preferred mover with discounted pricing. Other times, they may suggest you go out and get three (3) estimates to submit for their approval.
If you are planning on moving to Austin Texas with General Motors, here are a few suggestions you may want to go over concerning your relocation costs.
• Ask your employer if they will be covering packing/unpacking.
• Do you have automobiles to ship to Austin and will they cover the transportation costs?
• If you have pets to relocate, will they cover their relocation costs?
• If you have not found a new residence in Austin, will they cover storage costs for 30 days, 60 days?
• Third Party Charges, coverage for servicing Grandfather clock, pool table, appliances, crating?
• Travel expenses such as lodging, food, airline tickets, car rental while house- hunting in Austin?
• Maid Service – Unpacking and putting everything away?
• Move-in/Move-Out Cleaning Service?